Friday, November 26, 2004

Memories, Music and Metallica

There are certain things that for me have come to symbolize my growing up years. Y'know what I'm talking about; things like Micro-Machines, "Saved by the Bell," and slap bracelets. One of these iconic things for me is heavy metal super-group METALLICA.

Now anyone who knows me knows that I'm not really a Metallica fan, but I do have a brother that is. During the years 10-14 I was not only heavily exposed to this group and their music, but I was even stretched to learn to play drums to their songs as Simon would imitate James Hetfield's aggressive guitar playing.

Last night Simon, my dad, and I saw Metallica at the San Diego Sports Arena. It was all really a last-minute thing. In fact, I didn't even know I was going to go until the opening band (Godsmack) was probably already playing. The crazy thing is that we didn't even have tickets to the show. We ran up to the box office just a few minutes before show-time and asked for three seats. The guy at the window told us that the only ones available were nose-bleeds in the most upper sections. We paused to inquire a scalper what prices he had to offer when suddenly three 4th row seats opened up for a measly $58 a pop. (Mind you, this is METALLICA.) The box-office guy was irritated that we would even entertain the idea of buying from a scalper, but he was happy to sway us with sweet, sweet seats.

Quite simply put, Metallica is the biggest, best, and most important heavy metal band ever. Their show last night was nothing short of mind-blowing. Though Dad somehow managed to keep still, Simon and I danced the night away to "Enter Sandman," "One," "Master of Puppets," and over two hours of other songs spanning their two-decade career.

Last night was a good idea gone better. If you have any hidden anger anywhere in you that needs to get out (or if you just really want to see four demonic creatures go nuts on a rotating stage with fire, cannons and explosives) go see Metallica. Even better still, go get your dad to take you.

1 comment:

j.j. said...

Nice description ;-)

I've lost touch with what Metallica have been doing over the years... it's nice to know they still rock!